PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the skates I'm using right now

pet575
01-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Bauer Air 440's. Size 8D. 10 years old, I bought them new, learned to play hockey in them as a beginner, and have skated in them since. I'm 5'9", 190lbs adult player, intermediate/advanced skater now.

Entry level skate?

These skates feel like they have little/no support anymore, and looking back I'm thinking they haven't had them for awhile. Did I break these skates down in the first year or two of playing in them?

Recommended replacement? Looking at ONE75's, CCM Vector V08, or Bauer Vapor X:30. Will not get a chance to try any on in person until next week.

Thoughts?

BostonJuniorBlackhawks
01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Bauer Air 440's. Size 8D. 10 years old, I bought them new, learned to play hockey in them as a beginner, and have skated in them since. I'm 5'9", 190lbs adult player, intermediate/advanced skater now.

Entry level skate?

These skates feel like they have little/no support anymore, and looking back I'm thinking they haven't had them for awhile. Did I break these skates down in the first year or two of playing in them?

Recommended replacement? Looking at ONE75's, CCM Vector V08, or Bauer Vapor X:30. Will not get a chance to try any on in person until next week.

Thoughts?

The boot is probably broken down. I absolutley destroyed my 5k's over the course of 3 years. One 75 would probably be the stiffest of the bunch that you mentioned. I have heard that it's a modded version of the one90 skate. If they fit you and you can find them for a good price, I would go for them. The x30's not a bad skate either.

pet575
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, I got a chance to get to a real hockey shop on a recent business trip to STL, MO-where I went to college and first got into hockey. Chad at Johnny Mac's there (who is also the equipment manager for the STL Bandits) helped me out with both what I was wearing and getting me set up into something better.

The Bauer Air 440's were a 1995 model of an entry level skate. We both concluded together that I'd broken them down within 1-2 years of having purchased them, but kept skating in them for several more seasons after that.

I replaced them with some 2008 Bauer Vapor XXXX's. They are AWESOME. Highly recommend them (or the Vapor X:60 since that is what they became in 2009) to anyone who is intermediate skating level or above and weighs in the 180-190 range (like me).

I've had the Vapors baked, skated in them once, and played a game in them once and they already fit me nearly perfectly.

FloPoErich
01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
I'm brand new to skating but just bought a pair of Bauer Vapor X:30s and absolutely love them!! I never knew how comfortable skates could be. I have no pain at all like I did when I was skating on rentals. The price was good at 179.99 and I am really happy with them so far.

SurfSkate
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Interesting thread. I had a pair of Bauer Air 70's bought in 1997 or 1998. Great skates that lasted until this past November when I finally broke down (much like the Air 70's had many years earlier) and bought a pair of x40s. My goodness what a difference new skates make! I still have the Air 70's - they'll be my pond hockey pair if we ever get cold weather here again. Good luck with yours.

ente17
01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
The boot is probably broken down. I absolutley destroyed my 5k's over the course of 3 years. One 75 would probably be the stiffest of the bunch that you mentioned. I have heard that it's a modded version of the one90 skate. If they fit you and you can find them for a good price, I would go for them. The x30's not a bad skate either.

oh yes... those sure took a beating