Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Other Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 AM

During the summer I tested different stick wax and the actual function of them. Here is the summary of what I came up with.

For anyone who is persistent on using stick wax, Mr. Zogg's Hockey Sex Wax works the best. It has the most tackiness, and stays on the stick the longest. All the other general waxes are weaker and pick up a ton of ice on your blade.

But in my opinion, I concluded that using wax does not really do anything. Your overall stick handling skills and shooting skills are not heightened by the use of wax, and I found it to be somewhat of a gimmick. Many say they can grip the puck better, but I found that the wax on the stick actually pushes the puck away as you gather up more and more ice on the blade surface.

This is obviously my opinion, and take it as you want. Just showing my personal experiment that I did. Obviously its not the biggest deal so if you do want wax, go for it. If it makes you feel more comfortable as a superstition or whatever, then by all means do it. But I concluded that it truly does not do very much.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
One bar will wax a stick about 30-50 times, who knows? I've never paid attention because it lasts soo long.

WOW, I waxed my stick twice already, and theres about 1/5 of the bar gone already. how do you get 30-50 uses out of it? I must be doing something wrong.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 AM

How much wax do you use? I cake it on pretty thick but I still dont go through nearly that much. Keep in mind that the middle of the puck of wax is thicker than the ends so it's going to look like you used more of the bar than you really did.

The first time I waxed the blade I thought it would be gone in a few uses but the bars last forever.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

I usually end up throwing my wax out before its runs out as it collects crap from the bottom of my hockey bag...but they last forever.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 PM

I use mr zoggs sex wax too, but while i was california for a recent tournament a teammate and i went to huntington beach between games and when i was picking up some mr zoggs, i saw another wax called sticky bumps. my friend, who was familiar with this wax, encouraged me to purchase some (a bar is 2 dollars and is roughly the size of 2 things of sex wax) and i found it is just as good if not better than mr zoggs. has anyone else used this wax?

I have an Easton Synergy SE for sale, used twice, 85 flex LH Forsberg. PM me if interested.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsdman13 View Post
I use mr zoggs sex wax too, but while i was california for a recent tournament a teammate and i went to huntington beach between games and when i was picking up some mr zoggs, i saw another wax called sticky bumps. my friend, who was familiar with this wax, encouraged me to purchase some (a bar is 2 dollars and is roughly the size of 2 things of sex wax) and i found it is just as good if not better than mr zoggs. has anyone else used this wax?
After my in depth research (google), i have found that sticky bumps is surf wax. Apparently you want bumps on a surf board, and this wax helps create them, or something along those lines. I dont surf, i just did a brief research. However on some surf forums i also found peopel recomended mr zogs sex wax for their boards. i am not sure if hockey wax and surf wax are one in the same, or if Zoggs max a surf wax and hockey wax. Either way the fact that sticky bumps is surf wax explains why it is so much bigger than zoggs stick wax
Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 AM

Hockey stick wax is = cold water wax.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Hockey stick wax is = cold water wax.
It also works well for waxing up your skiis/snow board.

29 years.....still not a pro
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaga14 View Post
During the summer I tested different stick wax and the actual function of them. Here is the summary of what I came up with.

For anyone who is persistent on using stick wax, Mr. Zogg's Hockey Sex Wax works the best. It has the most tackiness, and stays on the stick the longest. All the other general waxes are weaker and pick up a ton of ice on your blade.

But in my opinion, I concluded that using wax does not really do anything. Your overall stick handling skills and shooting skills are not heightened by the use of wax, and I found it to be somewhat of a gimmick. Many say they can grip the puck better, but I found that the wax on the stick actually pushes the puck away as you gather up more and more ice on the blade surface.

This is obviously my opinion, and take it as you want. Just showing my personal experiment that I did. Obviously its not the biggest deal so if you do want wax, go for it. If it makes you feel more comfortable as a superstition or whatever, then by all means do it. But I concluded that it truly does not do very much.
The only thing I have ever found functional about wax is that it keeps tape on your blade forever, if done correctly. (Although, it would seem that wax on top of tape would nullify the benefit of the tape in the first place, but I have never noticed a flinch of difference)

It also depends on whether your league uses iced or warm pucks. Taping a stick, at all, in these warm puck leagues isn't much of an advantage, as the warm puck sticks to your blade anyway.

Rough the "smoothy" blades up with a bit of sandpaper and save yourself some tape & wax. *heh*
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM

I just use a big round candle......I HATE SOFT WAX, I.E. Sex wax, Blade Butter etc. so I prefer a hard candle for my wax, but the other day I picked up some of those rubber pads to go on the blade instead of tape, and I love them......So now I only use tape if the place that sells them is closed LOL.