Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Other Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 AM

The smelling salts basically clear your nasal passages (almost to the point of burning) and they "wake you up". Some players feel they make you more alert because it essentially shocks your system. They're not all that expensive. If you have a local sports medecine/athletic training supply store, you can buy them locally or order them online of course.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM

The ammonia just irritates the mucosal membranes and "wakes you up" as mentioned but it doesn't really have any chemical or physiological effects.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Haven't seen them in red but...
definitely it. I've played at Philips Arena a few times following Thrashers games and these little packs are ALL OVER the benches! :lol:
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashy View Post
The ammonia just irritates the mucosal membranes and "wakes you up" as mentioned but it doesn't really have any chemical or physiological effects.
It feels like a slap in the face.

You'd be AMAZED how many of these some teams go through in a single playoff game.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It feels like a slap in the face.

You'd be AMAZED how many of these some teams go through in a single playoff game.
Interesting, I rarely see anyone use them on TV but I guess they don't focus on the bench much except for this one time when the commentators were pointing out someone using it. Ammonia definitely causes a nasty face.

It should smell like hair colouring treatment unless technology has really changed in the past decade.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 AM

yeah ive sniffed one of them before as my friend played a trick on me with one and i didnt know what it was... ITS NUTS!! its a burning/tingling shock feeling after u sniff it and lasts about 2 seconds i would say but really wakes you up... its what they use if someone is knocked out they crack the pack and it wakes the guy up.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashy View Post
Interesting, I rarely see anyone use them on TV but I guess they don't focus on the bench much except for this one time when the commentators were pointing out someone using it. Ammonia definitely causes a nasty face.

It should smell like hair colouring treatment unless technology has really changed in the past decade.
In 2004, the night before game 7 against the Flyers in the conference finals there was a high-level pickup game to break in the freshly redone ice. On the Lightning bench I saw about 200ish packets in the drain under the water bottle holder on the bench.