Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Gloves
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM

Default Glove questions

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm really stuck on what gloves to buy. I have really only used Tour. I play inline. I play outside a few times a week and gonna play in the men's league in summer. And my problem is ripping through the palms very quickly. I have started to like the Bauer gloves because of the skinnier fit and the flex thumb. But the price is a little high. I'm not looking to spend much. 60-70 tops. I was told by total hockey that Torspo are good and they are comfortable and the palms have a big leather piece as well. I tried a pair on and like them. I have the opportunity to pick up some brand new Tour G7 (team USA) for very very cheap. So I guess my question is should I pick up the tours or go a different route for a longer lasting palm.

Thanks guys
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM

Try using tacki mac grips on your sticks and that'll help with palm wear. The other option is Oggie grips, but that's like an extension and you'd have to cut your stick for those. I use both tacki mac and oggie grips. Traditional tape wears through palms much faster - white tape is better than black (black is terrible for palm wear), but they're both worse than tacki macs or oggie grips.

There are many tacki mac grips - I prefer the Kane/Pro grip, but you may want something else. http://www.tackimac.com/shop/product...Wrap-Grip.html

If you like tighter gloves then you may want to check out the Warrior Koncepts and Projekts - the 2010/11 models are on clearance at most places because redesigned versions are coming out in the spring. I have the Projekts and really like them.

Last edited by althoma1 : January 22nd, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM

I don't like the Oggie grips. I worked in a warehouse in stl that shipped out those from Hockeyshot.com. I hated the way the felt and were curved. I read in another thread the tacki macs were good for helping.

I looked into the tacki, on inlinewarehouse and total hockey, but I only see ones with the butt ends. I like it just flat on the ends.

I'll have to look into those gloves haven't really looked into Warrior gloves really. Are they comfortable?
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:52 PM

Check out the Kane/Pro Ribbed. It only has one strip at the top and not a big butt end. You can easily trim the top off if you don't want anything at the top: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=TMPK

I do find the Warrior Projekts very comfortable and protective. The fit on the Projekts and Koncepts are snug/form fitting - they're both part of their "speed" line.

Warrior also has the Flow line which is somewhat tapered through the hand and then really opens up at the cuff - I have a pair of Luxes from the flow lineup and those are comfortable, but are wider in the backroll and overall feel. The last glove line is the Evo which is a more traditional 4 roll (overall looser fit) line headed by the Franchise glove.

If you want tight fitting then the Koncept and Projekts are the ones you'd want to consider in the Warrior lineup. The Projekts are the more protective of the two, have triple split fingers on the index and middle fingers (vs. only the index on the Koncepts) and have a nicer liner.

Last edited by althoma1 : January 22nd, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:27 PM

I will definitely be checking out those Tacki Grips. Thanks!

My buddy has a pair of the Warriors and he really likes them. I haven't tried them much but once and did like them.

My problem is not really spending more than $60. Yeah I know hard to find a good, durable glove for that price, but it's all I really want to spend. These are what I've been considering.

http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...4352&div_id=41
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...6615&div_id=41
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...6043&div_id=41
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...7737&div_id=41

Or the Tour G7 Team USA gloves I can pick up for $40.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM

The Warrior Bully gloves are going to have a wider more traditional 4-roll feel - they are a mid-line model in the "Evo" line (Franchise is the top model in that line). The Burn are going to have a slightly tapered fit and are a lower model in the "Flow" line (Luxe are the top model in that line), but are wider than the "Speed" line gloves (Projekt/Koncept).

In comparison to say Bauer the Bully fits similar to the 4-roll, the Burn would fit somewhat similar to the Vapor line and the Projekts/Koncepts would be similar to the Supreme line. You mentioned liking the Bauer fit in your first post, which Bauer glove were you referring to?

The Tour G7 Team USA gloves for $40 seem like a fantastic deal in comparison to the regular price. This inlinewarehouse video for the G7 Pro mentions a wide fit, so while it does look like a great glove for the money, I don't think it's going to give you the skinner/tighter fit you were liking with the Bauer gloves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6436JaGXahs
I found an archived thread here discussing the G7 gloves, and opinions were positive: http://hockey.inlinewarehouse.com/ar...hp/t-2242.html

Out of the gloves you've linked to the Warrior Bully gloves seem like the best value (plastic inserts, good liner ect), but again it'd be a wider fit and one of the reviews on that site said that the palms wore on the user quickly. If you can try them on and like the way they fit then they're a solid option (the G7's do seem like a better bargain though) and perhaps the palms will last when you use Tacki Mac grips. The Bully fit is a more traditional 4-roll fit though and not the skinnier fit you mentioned liking with Bauer. The Burn gloves are lower end without much protection so I wouldn't go with those at that price (they're regular price) - if you like the fit of that line at least move up to the Surge glove (mid-line, one down from Luxe's) as they have plastic inserts and other features, but they're over your budget.

I noticed the Koncept gloves (originally over $100) are still over $80 on many US sites, but in the Sport Chek/Hockey Expert chains up here in Canada they're being cleared out for $39. They have plastic inserts and a similar skinny/snug fit to the Projekts and Bauer Supreme gloves. I've recommended them to team mates that want a good value glove: http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...uctId=11981860

If you are visiting Canada or have a friend that can ship those to you then the Koncept gloves would be a great option that should come in around $60 with shipping or less than that if you're picking them up in person. Unfortunately, Sport Chek only ships to Canada directly. Maybe some of the US sites will be clearing them out for similar prices soon. It's probably easier (less hassle and no wait) to grab the G7's though if you're happy with the fit of those.

These Combat 52 cal gloves used to retail for over $100 and still sell for $80+ on most sites. They have triple split fingers, plastic inserts for protection and have a reinforced palm that seems very durable (I've worn mine a few dozen times with Tacki mack grips and the palms have held up great). The fit narrower than a traditional 4-roll, but not quite as snug as the Warrior Speed line or the Bauer Supremes. I find the cuffs to be slightly longer than most gloves. They're available on ebay for $49 which is quite a good value: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Combat-5...0276 15128262

After shipping the Combat's would be $75. I actually picked up a pair of the Combats and they're good gloves for the money - I prefer my Projekt gloves, but even on clearance the cheapest I've seen the Projekts for is $85+ tax at Pro Hockey Life (Canadian retail chain).

If you're happy with the fit of the G7's I'd go with those, but if you don't like the way those fit then I'd look at the Koncepts and the older model Combat 52 cals (the newer 2011 Combat 52 cals have a more traditional 4-roll fit and are more expensive because they aren't on clearance pricing).

Last edited by althoma1 : January 23rd, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM

Well first off this is the most info I've ever received on a certain product lol. More I've even gotten on the car forums I'm on lol.

But the I was mostly interested in the supreme or the x series. But then again I realized with the x series the extra piece on the x40 doesn't cover where I wear through on the gloves. The supreme either besides the most expensive gloves.

It does look like the bully gloves do look to have a lot more in them then all the others that's what I kinda liked about them.

Like I said I've only used Tour gloves before and I would like to try others but I found that deal lol. But I've read that they only come in sizes lil 14-15. I measured my hand like the video on inline warehouse said with the tape measure and it said 14. But I use 13 and my fingers are kinda at the edge but not really. Would that make a difference with different types of gloves?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM

In that IW Youtube video Tyson mentions that the G7 gloves only come in size 14.5 which may be a bit big, plus they're a looser more traditional fit.

The Warrior gloves closest to the Supreme line fit are the Koncept and Projekt gloves. Both the Koncept and Projekt have plastic inserts - the Projekts just have a nicer liner, the bone system for additional protection and a triple split index and middle finger (instead of the triple split on the index on the Koncepts with double split fingers on the rest). IW has a good video on the Koncepts (a Projekt video is also available, but that's out of your price range so I won't include that link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6P2fV43YM

The Warrior gloves closest to the Bauer Vapor X series fit are the Luxe, Surge, and Burn gloves, but keep in mind that the Burn is the lowest of that line and doesn't have plastic inserts like the Surge and the Luxe.

The Bully's offer a good value at that price, but they aren't designed to fit like the Bauer Supreme or Vapor X glove - they'll fit closer to a traditional Bauer 4 roll glove (a looser fit overall).

Different brands do fit slightly differently - Warriors are known for having slightly longer fingers, Eastons short fingers ect. Not sure about Tours. From the sound of it a 13" pair of Warriors would likely fit you well, but it's best to try them on if you can as you might prefer the fit of a 14" glove.

I think the best glove for you based on what you've said you're looking for would likely be a 13" or 14" pair of Warrior Koncepts if you can find them in your price range. They have a slimmer/contoured fit, an overlay at the bottom of the palm, plastic inserts, mesh guessets, moisture wicking liner ect. They're only just above your $60 price cap on Icewarehouse right now at $69.99 including free shipping, but only the 15" model seems to be in stock: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=KGS1. I know they're being cleared out for $39.99 + tax up at Sport Cheks in Canada right now so maybe they'll be in your price range at one of the US retailers soon. The 13" and 14" Koncept gloves are in stock at giant and epuck for $77.99: http://www.epuck.com/war11konglvsr.html.

If you tried on the Torspos and like the fit then they're a decent option (I do have converted Surge 221 skates for rollerhockey and like them) although it doesn't state in the online description that they have plastic inserts for protection. You have to decide how important that is to you. As a guy who has had his finger broken by a slap shot before I don't buy gloves without plastic inserts.

Last edited by althoma1 : January 23rd, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM

They will prolly be to big then of they're almost a 15. I think by all the info you have given me I will prolly be picking up a pair of warrior gloves lol. Maybe spending the extra money will be worth it. I'm gonna be in a men's league and the plastic inserts will prolly be a very good thing since I'm not a very big person for being 20.

The pair of Torspo might have been the 321. I don't remember though. But I think they have the plastic inserts. But thanks again.