Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Sticks
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:11 PM

Default Are current composites just not for me...?

So, back a year or so ago I made my transition to composite sticks with a Bauer One95 shaft/blade combo and I absolutely loved it (came from a Sherwood woody). The One95's have since broke (long ago) and since that time I have yet to find a stick that I "love".

I have gotten to the point where I am ordering the "Mystery Stick Packs" just to go out of my norm and try some new and I not have a slew of sticks and dislike them all.

Here is what I have and maybe someone can offer some feedback:

Warrior Dolo DD Clear/Non Grip (75 Flex)
Easton S19 Grip (85 Flex)
Easton Mako M3 Clear/Non Grip (85 Flex)
Easton Make M5 Clear/Non Grip (85 Flex)
CCM CL Red/Grip (85 Flex)

I have asked and it seems like the One.9 is the replacement for the One95, but I have a really hard time paying 229 for a stick, so until I see it on sale or used somewhere I just can't justify spending that kind of money. I really wish it was offered as a shaft/blade combo and then I can duplicate my One95 set up, but it doesn't seem to be offered that way. I do have a pair of Nexus 1000's on the way that I picked up cheap on this message board, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

All of the sticks I have listed feel "dead" to me, just a numb feeling. I have tried high end, low end, midpoint sticks, grip and non grip, 75 flex, 85 flex (and even cut an 85 a bit more to get me closer to 95'ish flex) and I like the feel of an 85 flex stick but just dislike the blade feel.

Are my choice of sticks just bad, or can someone make a recommendation on this (I don't want this to turn into a "what stick should I get thread"), just looking for opinions on the sticks that I have and get others opinions on them to see if I am just way off base, or are my opinions accurate?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

Dave
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM

Interesting that you have used an S19 but didn't like it. I loved my S19 until it broke. Anyway, in your style of play, do you take more one-timers/slapshots or more wrist/snap shots? Because that would tell you if you should lean more towards mid-flex point (slap shots) or low-flex point (wrist shots).
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM

I play defense so I tend to take more slap shots... although I take a good amount of wristers too.
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:41 PM

You might want to check out a Bauer TotalOne. They're on sale since the newer TotalOnes came out, and they're a great stick with a mid-flex point. I have one and absolutely love it
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydawg807 View Post
You might want to check out a Bauer TotalOne. They're on sale since the newer TotalOnes came out, and they're a great stick with a mid-flex point. I have one and absolutely love it
agreed on the totalone, nexus line or one.9 (today's one95).
AI9, RBZ, T90 may be worth looking at too.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:50 AM

I tried several composites and I didn't like them. still rock the wood sticks. I found a company online that makes custom wood sticks. I'm not sure if I can mention their name here. I should get it within the week.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercalo2000 View Post
I tried several composites and I didn't like them. still rock the wood sticks. I found a company online that makes custom wood sticks. I'm not sure if I can mention their name here. I should get it within the week.
You gotta go with what you're comfortable with and feels right, I totally understand! What composites have you tried so far?

PS: You can post the link to the custom site, I'm curious myself and would like to check it out
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburt520 View Post
So, back a year or so ago I made my transition to composite sticks with a Bauer One95 shaft/blade combo and I absolutely loved it (came from a Sherwood woody). The One95's have since broke (long ago) and since that time I have yet to find a stick that I "love".

I have gotten to the point where I am ordering the "Mystery Stick Packs" just to go out of my norm and try some new and I not have a slew of sticks and dislike them all.

Here is what I have and maybe someone can offer some feedback:

Warrior Dolo DD Clear/Non Grip (75 Flex)
Easton S19 Grip (85 Flex)
Easton Mako M3 Clear/Non Grip (85 Flex)
Easton Make M5 Clear/Non Grip (85 Flex)
CCM CL Red/Grip (85 Flex)

I have asked and it seems like the One.9 is the replacement for the One95, but I have a really hard time paying 229 for a stick, so until I see it on sale or used somewhere I just can't justify spending that kind of money. I really wish it was offered as a shaft/blade combo and then I can duplicate my One95 set up, but it doesn't seem to be offered that way. I do have a pair of Nexus 1000's on the way that I picked up cheap on this message board, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

All of the sticks I have listed feel "dead" to me, just a numb feeling. I have tried high end, low end, midpoint sticks, grip and non grip, 75 flex, 85 flex (and even cut an 85 a bit more to get me closer to 95'ish flex) and I like the feel of an 85 flex stick but just dislike the blade feel.

Are my choice of sticks just bad, or can someone make a recommendation on this (I don't want this to turn into a "what stick should I get thread"), just looking for opinions on the sticks that I have and get others opinions on them to see if I am just way off base, or are my opinions accurate?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

Dave
I'd say, if you don't like composite feel, try Nexus line
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM

I ordered from boahockey.com. I haven't received the stick yet but I'm excited. I loaded up on some Nike/Bauer Naslund curve stick on closeout but my supply is low now. These and the old Sherwood have worked well for me.

I used a Mission composite, a TPS, a Bauer and CCM. The Mission one felt the best but considering the cost, it wasn't worth it to me. Plus it didn't feel as good as the twig I had.
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:16 PM

You have to adjust how you use the stick. A composite requires softer hands and you have to catch a pass totally different too.

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM

I received my custom twig and so far so good. Wood just works for me and at less than 25% of the price of a custom composite, I'll stay old-skool. Besides, I like how people are in awe I even have a wood stick.