Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Sticks
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Default Stick Length

I need some advice on stick length.

I play forward for my club and am would consider myself a offensive forward. I'm 6 foot 1.5 inches. I generally play in a standing tall position, slightly hunched. Currently using a one95 malkin curve (probably not relevant).

I've only been playing for 2 years and I've always used a long stick (with skates on it comes up past my nose)

I know thats a bit long but everytime I go shorter I just dont feel right. I think it is becuase I am just not use to using a shorter stick. Do you think in the long run it will pay off for me switching to a shorter stick?

A suggestion a friend had was maybe every week take a half of inch off.

Any thoughts?
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Personal preference.

I had a tall stick, but that's because I was used to skating very upright. As I've gotten more and more used to skating with my knees bent, I've dropped it down by at least an inch if not 2".

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM

I have a friend that is 6'1 and uses a 63" stick, I have another friend that is 5'10 and uses a 60" stick. Another friend is 5'9 and uses a 55.5" stick. I'm 6'1 and use a 57-59" stick, depending on lie.

It's all personal preference.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM

I'm 6'4 and I use a 60" stick which helps stickhandling speed/precision and it forces me to stay lower resulting in better balance when getting hit. It also forces me to lean inot my shots more.
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
Not sure if this will help you..

I just cut my stick down 3" and having a hell of a time getting used to it... but I'm a noob
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Interesting article, but it's still personal preferance and there is no set size. If you like it long, keep using it that way. If your new and not sure, cut your stick down and add a wood end plug to bring the length back up if you don't like it.

I use two different lengths and love them both, it just depends on how I feel that day and if I'm playing D or wing. I'm 5'8" and use either a 57 inch or 56 inch stick.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM

I strongly disagree with that article for rec-league adults. The reason NHL players HAD to use shorter sticks was because they needed the puck closer to their bodies, for fear of major hits. Rec leagues don't have to worry about that. Furthermore, all the players in that article were pre-rule change players, pre-2004. More and more NHL'ers are going to longer sticks and lower lies. Super stick handler Pavel Datsyuk uses a stick to approximately his mouth, on skates. Vinny Lecavalier also uses a long stick. I can't even mention how many times I got pro stocks and was entirely surprised how long they were, even when the players listed height is 5'10-6'0. This is becoming a trend for good reason- a longer stick allows a greater radius of puck control, more powerful shots, better defense and face offs, etc.

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM

Just give it a try. You can always add an end-plug back in.

I went in the other direction. For the longest time, I was using a stick that came up to about my Adam's Apple on skates and my shot was very inconsistent. I went through a couple of instructors who noted I seemed to be 'using my arms and not the flex of my stick'.

I could feel it, too (not flexing the stick). So much so that I gave up on my cut mid-flex sticks and went back to intermediate flexes. Still the same problem (no flex and shots you could time with a sundial).

Then an instructor handed me his uncut regular flex X60 to try. I figured there was no way I could shoot with it (after all, I couldn't even get the intermediate flexes going) and the height was about where you have it.

First shot I took was a rocket that hit that glass a couple feet above the net. Used it the whole session and it was night and day for me. So much so that I'm willing to go back to trying a longer stick and 'relearning' how to stickhandle and pass with it. In the end, it wasn't just a matter of flex but of leverage as well.

From a beginner's POV, it would seem like if you can learn to use a long stick as well as you can a short stick, it would seem more advantageous to go with the longer stick for reasons mentioned in prior posts.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM

I am 6'3" and use a 60" stick. I had some back problems recently so I put a 2 inch plug in the end last night to bring it up to my mouth, and it felt like I was playing with a telephone pole. Went back to my normal length which comes up just below my chin and it was much better.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Using a stick of the correct length (ie shorter) will also force you to skate and play in a more correct hockey stance, which will also improve your balance and agility.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
Using a stick of the correct length (ie shorter) will also force you to skate and play in a more correct hockey stance, which will also improve your balance and agility.
Uh, that's very debatable...

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxc999 View Post
Uh, that's very debatable...
I've got to say "yes" on this one. I agree with you. If stick length could improve my skating then I'd go to a stick that is 3 foot 6 inches and whirl and twirl my around the ice, deking defencemen with replendid feats of skill and dexterity.
but I suck so the stick will stay at it's current length.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM

All personal preference. As a coach, I would NEVER push a shorter stick on a player just because I use a short stick.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM

No one is saying a shorter stick will make you skate better. However, it will help keep you in the correct skating stance. And being in the correct skating stance will give you better balance and better puck control.

For many people that are new to hockey, and even new to skating, skating form and stance is a major issue.

There is a reason that proper stick length is one of the first items addressed by the Hockey Canada coaching and teachnig guides.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
No one is saying a shorter stick will make you skate better. However, it will help keep you in the correct skating stance. And being in the correct skating stance will give you better balance and better puck control.

For many people that are new to hockey, and even new to skating, skating form and stance is a major issue.

There is a reason that proper stick length is one of the first items addressed by the Hockey Canada coaching and teachnig guides.
For beginners, it may be true to a point. But it's very much a false stereotype as far as I've seen.

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I don't believe it's good for beginners. They will compensate by bending at the waist before they start bending their knees... aaand no one wants to look like Vaclav Prospal skating out there.

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
....aaand no one wants to look like Vaclav Prospal skating out there.

Now that right there is funny.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:35 AM

I read that Gretzky would shorten his sticks as the season wore on, that by getting into shape and getting his leg strength back he would skate with his upper body lower to the ice and would compensate by cutting his stick down.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
All personal preference. As a coach, I would NEVER push a shorter stick on a player just because I use a short stick.
As a coach (baseball example) would you allow a your player go up to bat with a baseball bat that is too long and too heavy to swing? If you did not recommend or "push" they use a properly sized bat, then you are wasting their time and your time.

The same goes for a hockey stick. If it too long it will hinder their puck handling/passing development. Their top hand will be on the side (or sometimes behind) of their body when the are stick handling with the puck in front of them. With a properly sized stick the top hand will be in front of their body and the blade will be relatively flat on the ice.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey7172 View Post
As a coach (baseball example) would you allow a your player go up to bat with a baseball bat that is too long and too heavy to swing? If you did not recommend or "push" they use a properly sized bat, then you are wasting their time and your time.

The same goes for a hockey stick. If it too long it will hinder their puck handling/passing development. Their top hand will be on the side (or sometimes behind) of their body when the are stick handling with the puck in front of them. With a properly sized stick the top hand will be in front of their body and the blade will be relatively flat on the ice.
Not everyone is going to use the same length of stick relative to their height. If they're having issues, I recommend a change... It's not even close to being the same as bat size/weight.