Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > General Equipment Advice
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet88 View Post
Hmm, which Bauer line eg an RX60 is a different length to a XXV?
Your reference is a good guide, I'd say someone with an 27cm foot would fit an 8 and from this one can work out most sizes. Looks similar to Rbk sizing.

As a nice to have under the Xmas tree (and so people didn't have to hunt through forums and threads), it would be a step forward if manufacturers put/added an actual foot size reference instead of a vague US shoe size reference eg if your foot measures 25cm (heel against wall, measured to front of foot) then it "should" fit into a size 6 skate with around 1mm - 2mm spare.
agreed they should
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:53 PM

justin I have a narrow foot. Do you think I could wear your skates. I have been looking at the CA7's. thanks.

Hockey Rules
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM

i have the same thing as ^^^^ that guy will this work? it looks like it might not. i use bauer rx60 skates fit like a dream and im afraid to switch
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Hey guys read the past two posts and from everything I have read from Justin on other forums plus from my friends direct knowledge of the CA9 he got, as long as you bake them correctly they will form directly to your feet.
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM

For those wondering if they have a narrow foot will our skates fit, the answer is yes. The moldability of our skates is amazing. I personally have a C width foot, and they fit me.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Just picked up a pair of CA9s, will hold off on a proper opinion until I get to use them in anger as I won't get any rink time until the weekend.

But first opinions are mixed, the fit/sizing is weird but hoping to get used to it.

Feel very tight, very stiff, and have a very pronounced arch which feels a little awkward.

What I will say is there needs to be clearer guidelines on sizing.

I'm not from the US but picked a pair up whilst on vacation, and going on what has been said how they compare to Bauer/CCM sizing, and to order 1.5 sizes down from your shoe size I ended up with a pair that were way too small.

I've been using a pair of CCM V6.0 for the last 4 years, skate size 8, but the CA9s in an 8 were no way near big enough.

My big toe just smashed into the front corner of the toe box, but luckily the excellent staff at IW were able to ship me out a pair half a size bigger which are better.

However in certain positions the corner of my big toe still mashes up against the toe box, but I need to have a proper skate on them to see if I've just blown $550 on some odd shaped paperweights :p

I'm a uk 8.5 to 9, so a US 9.5 to 10, and going off the Alkali site it says get 1 to 1.5 sizes down. That's a bit too general to make a decent decision, and the IW description advises 1.5 down.

I'm wondering if I should have even gone up to a 9, but too late now and postage costs from the UK mean no chance of either sending these back or trying a pair of size 9s out to see if they are any better.

As for width, these things definitely suit a narrow foot, they are tight :)

I really want to like these so hoping once I've broken them in things settle down.

Last edited by ChrizR : March 12th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM

I'm doing the LTR on ******** for the CA9s and they will for sure suit a wide foot just as well. If they feel a bit narrow get them baked and they will form out around your foot.

As for sizing, I was wearing an 8.5 in the Pre-Bauer Mission stuff and that's what I wear in Alkali and Revision. I take an 8 Bauer/Mission and Tour and 7.5 in CCM/Reebok, so it definitely sounds like a 9 would've been the right fit for you unless your foot does run wider and is squeezing in making them feel too short.

Remember that shoe sizes from one manufacturer to another are rarely the same, so basing it off shoe size is subjective at best.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin to slit throats"
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Yeah I'm not saying they won't fit a wide foot, just that guys with narrow feet shouldn't worry :)

I'm not sure baking is an option as there is no where within 200 miles or so that does it, unless our kitchen oven will do :p

My foot isn't particularly wide, and it only hits the toe box in certain positions, most of the time it's fine.

As said I've been using a CCM size 8 and they are positively spacious, so would have thought an 8/8.5 would have been similar. Hopefully these will be fine though.

Hence why I'm waiting until the weekend to give a proper opinion on them as I'll get to actually see what they are like to skate on.

It's painful waiting until then though, just want to try them out as they are just sitting there taunting me at the moment :p
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Just had another little wear of them round the house and feeling a lot better in them.

Notice my toe only grazes the toe box when the angle of my foot moves in the boot. Once I get the lacing right and maybe see if I can get them baked that won't be a problem.

Other than that they feel like a tight glove fit wise, still can't get over the stiffness of this boot as well :)

Weight feels very nicely balanced as well.

And as an added bonus you also get an Alkali skate tool in the box, if I'd have known I wouldn't have also put a skate tool on the same order :p
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM

First skate today, mixed impressions.

Nice and light, weird having all 80s but can see it'll be good, but still struggling with the fit.

Not having any problems lengthways with toes in the toebox, that's all fine.

But am finding that the profile of the footbed is causing me pain.

About a third of the way down my foot on the outside edge it feels like the footbed starts to rise inwards, a bit like the other side for the arch of your foot, and it's like skating with a lump in your shoe.

Not sure if this is something that can bake out as it feels like the underlying shape of the skate causing it.

Am going to try slipping in some extra foot sole things to see if they can even the footbed out a bit.

Slipped my old CCMs on after and could have cried at how nicely they fit, foot felt nice and flat in the skate, no lumps or bumps.

Will see how it goes over the next month and if I don't get on with them I'll have to cut my losses, but I still really really want to like these skates as there's something about them :)
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Well the CA9s have had a fair bit more usage now and they are ever so slowly getting better.

Started off by adding my old CCM footbeds as above to even out the bumps which helped a lot, and had to wear them pretty loose for the next couple of sessions.

Now I'm doing them tighter each time and apart from a couple of pinch points they are pretty much all ok now although feet still ache a little after a long session in them.

Still feel a little loose around the ankle when doing up tight but impressions so far are they are good but take a while to settle in.

I also see that there is are least one supplier here in the UK who has started stocking them now :)
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrizR View Post
Well the CA9s have had a fair bit more usage now and they are ever so slowly getting better.

Started off by adding my old CCM footbeds as above to even out the bumps which helped a lot, and had to wear them pretty loose for the next couple of sessions.

Now I'm doing them tighter each time and apart from a couple of pinch points they are pretty much all ok now although feet still ache a little after a long session in them.

Still feel a little loose around the ankle when doing up tight but impressions so far are they are good but take a while to settle in.

I also see that there is are least one supplier here in the UK who has started stocking them now :)
thanks for the review
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Seem to have good days and bad with the CA9s and cannot pin down what's causing it, so think I may try selling up and trying something else.

Will be a pain trying to sell them over here in the UK as the market is so small but will see, end of the day might have to take the hit on them and move on :(
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM

Had another session on them and slowly working out where the problems are and had a really good day on them :)