Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Bauer MX3 Skates

The new TotalOne MX3 skates launched last week! If you have picked them up, tell us what you think? Here is a link to the MX3 skates: http://bit.ly/BauerMX3Skates.
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Default Flawed Construction of Bauer's Latest Skate

I purchased the MX3s and I am not a fan. If I could return them, I would. The most uncomfortable skate I have ever purchased from Bauer.

I started wearing Bauer skates back when I first started ice skating, some 28 years ago. I was a Bauer loyalist until this recent purchase. I have broken in several pairs of Bauer skates and have never experienced the discomfort that I have had with the MX3s.

The "revolutionary" lacing system is the cause of the problem. It is a hard plastic that never softens, like your typical hockey skate with leather on the inside part of the eyelets that touches your sock/skin. The plastic rubs against my lower leg and rips the skin off of my leg as I skate. I finish skating and I am bleeding on both exterior sides of my legs, just above the ankles.

The MX3 has a flawed design. Your ankle needs to move to properly skate. The flexion that takes place at the ankle allows for you to perform on your skates. Every time your lower leg moves forward as the ankle flexes, the hard plastic eyelets cut into my leg.

I contacted Bauer customer support and the best answer they could provide was to wear a full length sock. I may just cut away the top eyelets and the plastic that keeps cutting into my leg, despite the Bauer customer service person telling me that my warranty will be voided. Who cares about a warranty when you have a skate that doesn't perform the way it should.

My suggestion to anyone interested in purchasing the MX3s is to save your money and buy another skate. The model below the MX3 has your basic lacing system which should allow the skate to work the way a skate should.

Bauer gets a big FAIL from me on the MX3. And their customer support failed me too.

I hear CCM brought back the Tacks. You may want to try those first. :-;

Good luck with your skate purchase and let me know if you have had any experience with the MX3s. I would be curious to hear other people's perspectives on this skate.