Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > General Equipment Advice
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM

2 months ago my son got X60's that have the red addictions. In the last year he has also used Revision, Rink rat xxxx and xxx, Millenium grippers, Labeda X-soft, orange addictions (still have these and going strong but with a medium loss in grip) and a host of useless Hypers.

In his humble opinion, these red addictions are the best he has ever skated on. He skates a mix of surfaces (wood, sports tile, smooth and poly'd concrete) and averages 8 skates a week - 2 months down the track they still grip like glue and show no signs of cracking or chunking.
They may be expensive but this is one case where you do get what you pay for.

Whilst he is slightly smaller then you, I know a couple of guys in our national representative team who use these (on X60's) and are similar in size to you and their wheels are still going strong after 8 months.

Last edited by Vet88 : May 19th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Question!

I have a pair of mission commanders along with 8 unused labeda addiction wheels and 8 used hot shot wheels from a pair of mission assassins.

I am 6' 170lbs. Would it be wise to use a setup of 76-76 with the hot shot wheels and 80-80 with the addictions wheels? Regardless, I have a game tonight so I'm going to try it I just wondered if anyone has miss-matched wheels like this and what their outcome was. thanks in advance!
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM

It all depends on what surface you are skating on but lets assume a sports court that is relatively friendly to wheels - as opposed to wood or concrete.
The hot shot wheels were on a lower end skate and there is a reason for this, they are a cheaper wheel. If they are less than a 78A I'd expect them to chunk up on you reasonably quickly. However the addictions generally hold together reasonably well on this type of surface so I'd have put all of them on as opposed to the hot shots on the front.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet88 View Post
It all depends on what surface you are skating on but lets assume a sports court that is relatively friendly to wheels - as opposed to wood or concrete.
The hot shot wheels were on a lower end skate and there is a reason for this, they are a cheaper wheel. If they are less than a 78A I'd expect them to chunk up on you reasonably quickly. However the addictions generally hold together reasonably well on this type of surface so I'd have put all of them on as opposed to the hot shots on the front.
So here's the scoop. I had all 80mm orange addiction wheels. When I used the orange addictions by themselves I was slipping a bit when stopping. On the commanders I can't fit all of the addictions on so I tried the 76mm hot shots in the front. I was slipping considerably less but the hot shots felt very dull and I was struggling to skate how I wanted to. I'm probably going to end up getting red addictions for the front for now, the orange was just a little too hard for my weight (~170) and the surface (good sports court) I play on. I feel like I need 76a to prevent from slipping.
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:37 AM

You might want to try some Revisions, I've used some recently and they held up very well. For a sports court and your weight you can go for maximum grip so a good quality 74a or 76a should do the job for you. At the end of the day there is no real answer, just what you find you are comfortable with considering all factors of grip, speed, wear, reliability and cost. With myself and a couple of kids playing often on 3 different surfaces each weekend (wood, concrete and sports court) I find myself changing wheels all the time. I must have gone through at least 10 different brands last year and I'm still looking.
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet88 View Post
At the end of the day there is no real answer, just what you find you are comfortable with considering all factors of grip, speed, wear, reliability and cost.
I couldn't agree more, it really seems like a personal preferance and what works for each individual and their skating style.

I'll have to look into Revision wheels. Other ones I've read about were Eschelon Apocalypse.

Not to solicitate but I have an add in classifieds for a set of Labeda Addiction wheels if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Jessiah : July 12th, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:24 PM

5'9 185,Mission t9, Labeda addictions both 76a and 78a. Labeda dynasty 2 & 3 74a, and rink rat splits 76a & 78a =( I play on tile surfaces or ice court tiles.
LABEDA ADDICTION! best wheel in the market!!! Only wheel i will ever buy!

Last edited by raq9096 : December 7th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM

6' 150 Tour Thor GX7 Labeda Gripper 74a
Sport court

I'm looking to update my wheels now that I've been playing indoor almost exclusively. What would be a good mid-high tiered wheel? I was thinking about moving up to the Millennium's