Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > General Equipment Advice
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIASMurph View Post
My only concern would be being too heavy for the wheels. I won't be skating until the 1st. I've got a few X-Soft wheels, I'll check to see if I can get a nice slide going. Thanks.
How much do you weigh? I got 180lbs. going for me and they're fine.
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Hey, i'm new to the board. I was wondering if yhou guys could suggest a good indoor wheel for me to use. I've never skated indoors. For outside i use labeda gripper asphalt 88a wheels. For indoor i ordered labeda zerodrag 82a wheels, but haven't been able to try them out yet. I weigh 280lbs and am 6 feet tall. I was told that even for my weight my new wheels may still be a little too hard for indoor rinks.. any help please!
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM

check out some 80A Rink Rat hot shots or hornets. There on clearence on the main site. If you can't find them i posted a link to them on the other board.

Last edited by li7039 : May 25th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Newer rbk 7k's for indoor sportcourt with blue xxx-soft rr hot shots.
outdoor is rbk 4k's with some crappy outdoor bauer wheels my lhs had, there tanks and hold up great.

I have an Easton Synergy SE for sale, used twice, 85 flex LH Forsberg. PM me if interested.
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderValley. View Post
How much do you weigh? I got 180lbs. going for me and they're fine.
I've got ya by about 20lbs. I've got some 80mm X-Softs I'll throw on and see how it goes. What's the worst that could happen? I fall on my ass which happens enough anyway haha.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Default Wheels and Surfaces....take II

I'm 6'0 185-195lbs (I fluctuate like crazy). Anyway I just bought some new Mission Soldier skates to start playing inline. I mostly play on a rough outdoor blacktop/asphalt surface. I know it will tear up the wheels that come stock on the soldiers but I was wondering what wheels I could get to replace them at a decent price. I don't want to spend a boatload right now, but had a few questions.

Are the Hyper Pro 150s sufficient? The Mission BSX? They're both pretty cheap, and it would be great if they would work. I don't need 110% top notch performance just yet as I just play with a group of friends for fun. None of us are great.

Also, I've read in a few places that a lot of inline skaters will use 2 softer front wheels with harder durometer back wheels. Is this universally recommended to prevent sliding out so much? If so, what is a ratio for the front 2 to back 2 as far as hardness goes?

Any tips or advice I can get is appreciated. Sorry for so many questions, I'm new
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to NYR4NG3R5 Send a message via MSN to NYR4NG3R5

The Mission BSX wheels will NOT be efficient for asphalt. They are too soft and they will actually slow down your skating, no joke... I use them.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...c60b22443f.jpg
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Too soft at 83A? How about the Hyper Pro 150s?
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

haven't used them personally but we sell a TON of the labeda asphalt wheels, the purpose is in the name plus I've heard good things about they're durability

its what I ALWAYS recommend if playing on asphalt

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-LGA.html

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
~Herb Brooks
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Yeah, I was just trying to avoid spending $6/wheel when I'm meaninglessly screwing around with friends.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to NYR4NG3R5 Send a message via MSN to NYR4NG3R5

If you're just going to be messing around with friends then you can go for the cheaper wheels. But the BSX's do slow down skating noticeably on asphalt. I'm not quite sure why but from skating on them the only conclusion that I can come to is that they are softer than advertised because the are not solid wheels.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...c60b22443f.jpg
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM

And how about the notion of 2 harder wheels in the back with 2 softer ones in front? Is that common, and do you recommend it? If so, approximately what hardness on each?
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa728 View Post
And how about the notion of 2 harder wheels in the back with 2 softer ones in front? Is that common, and do you recommend it? If so, approximately what hardness on each?
A lot of people prefer that as the harder wheels in the rear allow more speed and an easier ability to slide/stop, while the softer wheels up front are what are used for most of your power and turning.

29 years.....still not a pro
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Default wheels

2 questions about wheels
1. if you buy new wheels do you need to get new bearings??
2. what type of wheel will hold up good for outdoor play on asphalt/concrete??
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Default Fin

If you're putting together a new skate and buying new wheels, then yes, get bearings etc. For concrete/asphalt, you'll probably want between a 78 and 84. If you're my size, say 150 lbs, you'll probably do better with a 78 but if you're 250, then an 84 will be fine (although you won't much be able to turn sharp).

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM

thanks :D i'm around 125-130 so 78 should do and also i'm not making new skates just new wheels but how do i get the bearings out of the old wheels?
and any suggestions for the wheels?? i don't want to pay over $8 a wheel
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM

as for wheels, if you want some good outdoor wheels, get the rink rat world cup wheels. If your looking for a cheaper option go for Hyper Razoredge or something like that.

by the way, send me a message if u want some cheap rink rat VT733's with abec5 bearings. (never been used).

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=575726
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchuska23 View Post
thanks :D i'm around 125-130 so 78 should do and also i'm not making new skates just new wheels but how do i get the bearings out of the old wheels?
You have to pry/pull the bearings out. You can either get a tool (bearing puller) for this job, or use a screwdriver and cautiously pry the bearings out while trying not to break/dent the casing. (Second option saves time and money haha.)

Last edited by BoulderValley. : June 12th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Default Wheels and Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchuska23 View Post
Here's some IW help on bearing removal: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/tipsagg/bearings.html

As far as the wheels go, you might want to consider something a little harder than 78's if you want them to last. My 60 lbs 9 year old goes through them in nothing flat on asphalt, though on smooth concrete (like a garage floor or a tennis court) the 78's should be fine. I'm with "Crazy" for asphalt though, go with Rink Rat "World Cups". Maybe you should call and discuss this with the folks at IW before buying?

Finally, if you're looking to buy new bearings, be sure to consider "Bones Reds".

Kindest Regards,
David
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Default I want a 100 plus wheel

I am big, fat and athletic.

I am 6'1" 250. My rear wheel always deforms and flattens after the 1st week. This only happens to the very rear wheel.

I need a wheel that is 76mm and 120 on the hardness scale. I would take a wheel that is made out of steel. I figure the other 3 wheels would allow me to make turns.

Do they make such a super hard rear wheel?