Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Baking your skates: Why or why not?

I just got my new skates in the mail the other day, and have called around to see how much baking a pair of skates is. The local pro shop at the rink is $30, my friend's cousins shop is $25 and perani's Hockey world is $20. But I suppose that's besides the point of this thread. My question is:

What are the pro's and con's of getting your skates baked?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 AM

Default Pro

Your skates will form to your feet faster than if your tried to break them in yourself.

The heating will in a sense mold the boot to your foot's shape.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 AM

I bake my skates at home no problems.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Did you follow the exact directions from your skate's box? if so, I think I may just do that.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmogoyf View Post
I just got my new skates in the mail the other day, and have called around to see how much baking a pair of skates is. The local pro shop at the rink is $30, my friend's cousins shop is $25 and perani's Hockey world is $20. But I suppose that's besides the point of this thread. My question is:

What are the pro's and con's of getting your skates baked?
I always get them baked when I buy them from my lhs free of charge so I don't have to do it myself.
After a narrow victory in 1994, Boston Bruins defenseman Al Iafrate was asked why, in the closing moments of the game, he had fired the puck around the boards rather than into the empty net. His reply? "Empty-net goals are for faggots."
Old 12-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Well, for whatever reason, my LHS didnt have my size/width in any skate at the shop. They said it would take like 1 month to get it, so I didn't do that. I had to order them offline. So now they all charge, which is a problem. I think i'll just do it at home.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I've never seen any directions on the box. I followed the directions from another site. I've done many CCM skates at home.
Bought new X60's today and when they come out of the oven… oh so good on the feet.

Last edited by mustang16 : 12-28-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 AM

I got my X:30s baked at my LHS and loved the feel it gave them automatically. They felt broken in after only 30 minutes of ice time.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

I tried to bake mine at home but didn't get the results I wanted. So I paid to have them rebaked and all was well.

I definelty recommend the baking

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Steam bake

What kind of skates do you have 1st of all? I baked my old vapors over oven steam. I wore them a couple times not baked but wanted to get abit more shape in the boot to my foot. So I filled a pan full of water and boiled the water with a top on it. after boiling I carefully drapped a large towel over my steel with my skates upside down in my hands (hands were on hte outside of the towel) I got someone to lift off the top of the boiled pot of water and held the skate boots over the water steam for like 20 seconds.--->the towel was drapped over the outside of the pot to keep the steam in the boot going upward. After that I quickly went into the room and begun to slide my foot in and lace up each skate. Pulling outward not upward on the laces. A good snug not too tight lace job and I sat down with the skates on for a half an hour, with my leg with a small bend 4ward. After taking the skates off I let them cool off. Not using them for a full day I waited 2 days bcuz of next ice time and they felt amazing. I'm not sure if you guys heard of doing this but I did and tried it and it worked very good for me...but I am not sayin' it will work for every kind of skate...I did it on Bauer Vapor XXX's.

I am new to this but Add me on twitter! I talk hockey and more hockey...follow me @WassLew

Last edited by 28AlexSemin : 01-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.