Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > General Hockey Discussion > Help Me!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Talking How-to: Ship a hockey stick (my advice to you)

I had to ship a stick for the first time this week and decided to try and compile a list of tips/tricks/techniques in order to do so.

Here is what I reccomend, for both shafts and full sticks:

First, go to the USPS near you and get a priority mail shipping tube, or big priority mail boxes. The USPS provides them for free, IDK how Canada works but maybe they do too.

You can get all the priority mailing supplies you want at no out of pocket cost from the usps website as well.

Frist wrap the stick in either multiple trash bags or bubble wrap of your choosing.

Tear the tube or boxes into strips that will bend easily, and using these these pieces of cardboard (flipped inside out so no logos are showing) proceed to tape piece after piece up and down the stick as needed, folding it around the stick as much as possible. Basically just use the cardboard as insulation and an extra layer of packing material. It's quite easy to add a few extra layers at the blade if needed, as well as other foam or plastic or whatever you're using to protect it.

Proceed to secure all of this cardboard with tape, it will look pretty haggard.

NOW: Take a roll of shipping tape and tape around the butt end a few times, then FLIP THE TAPE SO ITS STICKY SIDE OUT. Using this sticky side out tape, wrap the stick from the top down like you were taping your stick normally. Literally make a candy cane of sticky side out tape up and down the stick.

The purpose of this is that you can now take torn strips of old shopping bags (brown paper!) and wrap them around the stick tightly. The tape will help hold the paper in place while you wrap it.

Next, wrap the finished product in one layer of tape (sticky side in this time) and you're pretty much done!

If you're shipping domestically they can pop stickers and info right on there, if international the customs envelope will conveniently wrap around the shaft and not overlap if you have at least one layer of cardboard around it.

This is the cheapest way I can think of to do it since all you need are:

FREE CARDBOARD FROM YOUR MAILING SERVICE OR OTHER PACKAGE

CLEAR TAPE

BROWN PAPER (BAGS OR OLD PACKAGE WRAPPING)

TRASH BAGS OR BUBBLE WRAP OR PLASTIC

You can find alot of these things for free from friends or relatives, and cut down on your shipping costs and worries. All in all it took me about 15 minutes to get a shaft ready for shipping today, and $19 to send it to Canada from New Jersey at a slight discount. It could have been $11 extra if I bought a tube from UPS, but I'm a college kid on a budget!

Hope this helps people who are tentative to sell their sticks online for fear of shipping.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM

My prefered method is to keep the boxes that new sticks are sent to me in. I re-use them to send used sticks out. Just make sure you take off all of the old labels.

If I don't have an old IW box laying around, my second method is simply by wrapping the shaft in two layers of bubble wrap. Then wrap the blade several times in bubble wrap. Secure all that bubble wrap in place with any kind of tape (even hockey tape, you won't use much - just in key areas to hold it in place). Then wrap the whole thing (candycane style but with no gaps) in tan masking tap. The layers of thickness on the blade should leave plenty of space for a USPS or PayPal domestic shipping label.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 PM

This is random but does $35 for shipping a stick from Canada to Boston seem ridiculous? I been quoted for shipping a stick from Australia to Boston for cheaper..............
After a narrow victory in 1994, Boston Bruins defenseman Al Iafrate was asked why, in the closing moments of the game, he had fired the puck around the boards rather than into the empty net. His reply? "Empty-net goals are for faggots."
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJuniorBlackhawks View Post
This is random but does $35 for shipping a stick from Canada to Boston seem ridiculous? I been quoted for shipping a stick from Australia to Boston for cheaper..............
To go from NJ to Canada it cost me $19 from paypal via usps priority. It would have ben $22 if I paid at the post office. For something only weight a couple hundred grams HELL YEA you're gettin ripped off man!!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJuniorBlackhawks View Post
Probably closer to $25-30 by my Canada Post estimate, but yeah the shipping rates are different from Canada to the US (Canada Post) versus US to Canada (USPS).
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to fatwabbit

It costs me about $15USD to ship from Perth to the US... and it would first go to Sydney before heading international across the big pond.

My prefered method, with good results so far.

Wrap the stick with 1 trash bag, taping the end of the stick with heavier duty duct tape
Masking tape the garbage bag all the way till the end of the bag
Flip the shaft, repeat the process.
Print out address, tape with clear tape.

So far, I've shipped about 20 or so sticks and shafts that way, with no problems. everything arrived properly, with no major issues except for maybe a slight few day delay or two.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Where am I going wrong trying to get a stick and helmet to a member in Toronto Ontario Canada UPS says $90.00 to ship and USPS told me they wont ship anything 42" in length to Canada. Help!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERS11 View Post
Where am I going wrong trying to get a stick and helmet to a member in Toronto Ontario Canada UPS says $90.00 to ship and USPS told me they wont ship anything 42" in length to Canada. Help!!

Try doing USPS by going to USPS.com. You can choose international > package> 1lb.

you don't have to click the large package radio button. you can use any pre approved priority label to ship the stick once its on there.

i use paypal so my cost was $19 for a 1lb package (i just clicked my packaging)

as long as the postage is already paid online and attached the post office people will just take it and ship it. when you got to them to have it calculate it for you is when they try to upsell you and rip you off trust me.

i once had a fedex guy tell me at the store it would be $100+ dollars to ship a $40 visor cage combo to some guy in canada. i went home and did a label online for fedex for a 1lb package with my packaging and the cheapest rate and it was like $13. it got there fine. these businesses are tricky if you don't know a few insider tips like print your own label, use paypal, go online for rates, skip the desk jockey trying to charge the computer "suggested" counter rates for the day
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

i have shipped several sticks to canada thru USPS and it was between 13 and 20 bucks depends on if you box it or use grabage bags.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Im in Boston so you think it would be around that?