Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Default How to properly lace skates?

Sorry for the n00b question but how would one go about properly lacing up a pair of skates? (start to finish)

I just got a pair of waxed laces and superfeet insoles today.

I found these thread, which way is the best? if anything...

http://hockey.inlinewarehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3956

http://hockey.inlinewarehouse.com/showthread.php?t=1395

Last edited by mikeweb : 02-08-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 AM

Welcome to the forum! There isn't really a correct way, it is mostly preference. Honestly i don't think you will notice a difference in no matter what way you lace them. That said MOST, i cant say all, factory skates
come with the laces started outside in (meaning the very bottom lace is threaded through the outside of the eylet to start the lacing). If your interested expieriment with both methods, after all it doesn't take to much work to unlace/lace skates
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 AM

I have some older Easton Ultra Lite Pro's from 2003, in the last 5yrs I probably have about 10hrs worth of use, hardly broken-in considering I only do recreational skating

I'll give your suggestion a try, no harm as its quick to do/undo laces

Anyone else with input?

Last edited by mikeweb : 02-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM

normal lacing vs backlacing (or outside-in lacing) is going to be personal preference.

backlacing will keep the laces tight as you pull them to tighten the boot. backlacing will also give a little more volume to the boot. Most shops I know backlace the skates so it's easier to tighten them on someone else's foot, particularly kids skates. It's not as easy to acheive a really tight fit with backlacing

normal lacing will allow you to crank down a little tighter across the top of the foot, but the laces might shift some as you let go to work your way up the boot (not so much of a problem with waxed laces). Since you can crank it down a bit tighter to your foot, you up the lacebite chances.

try both, see what you like. It's bound to feel better one way or the other
Old 02-08-2008, 03:21 PM

I liked how backlacing really kept the laces in place. But it took me forever to get them right and even longer undoing them after a game. I also have an issue with going outside on my CCM 1152's where the laces go through the plastic heel brace thingee. I can't ever get that section tight regardless. But I guess thats why they invented the lace lock for later models.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 PM

What do you guys think of Knotted Lacing?

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knottedlacing.htm
Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Talking

sounds good. instead of only looping my skates once when i tie them i loop them twice and it keeps them a lot tighter. this would seem like looping them all the way up will keep the whole skate MUCH tighter
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 AM

There is no "right" way to lace up your skates. There are so many factors, varying from foot shape, to skating style, to type of skate.
One warning though, dont be fooled by the old school view of "loose skates build ankle strength". While this may be true to a certain extent, it builds strenght in the areas not used in hockey skating. You build stability muscles.
Not tightening skates enough hinders your ability to flick your toe at the end of the stride, turn sharply, pivot, cross-over, and can even damage your ankles. Those who dont tighten their skates enough look uncordinated on the ice, as the boot of the skate slips on their foot.
Just sit at home with your skates on a towel and try out different tighting combinations. I find leaving the toes just a light pull (snug tight?) and then increasing the tightness as i get higher works best for me. Its all up to you.

Last edited by open-ice24 : 02-12-2008 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 AM

Default Loosened heel but tighter mid and upper foot

I'm breaking in my new Mission skates, and just tying them through traditional methods leaves me a little too tight on the heel and way too loose on the mid/upper foot. Any suggestions on tightening the mid/upper foot without tightening around the ankle would be really great.

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 AM

The new mission are one of the most flexible fore/aft skates out there.
Have you tried skating on them, or just tightening them?
Try working the boot in, and skating a little. It might help reduce how resricted you feel in the ankle.