Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Default CCM Pro Tacks / Super Tacks 992

Hi Guys,
I've been using the CCM Pro Tacks for years now. As is well known they're not produced anymore and therefore hard to find, anyhow in size 7.5. Now I found the Super Tacks 992. Does anyone know if there's a considerable difference between the Pro and the 992?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Bump because I'm looking for a pair of high-end tacks and I can't really find my 1052s or 952s anymore, so I was hoping the Pro Tacks are comparable (or better quality), and I could mmmmmmmaybe find them somewhere.

I knew I should have bought a couple pairs of the 952s when I last found them a couple of years ago, now I'm kicking myself. *sigh*
Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkiller View Post
Bump because I'm looking for a pair of high-end tacks and I can't really find my 1052s or 952s anymore, so I was hoping the Pro Tacks are comparable (or better quality), and I could mmmmmmmaybe find them somewhere.

I knew I should have bought a couple pairs of the 952s when I last found them a couple of years ago, now I'm kicking myself. *sigh*
You and me both.....my 4 year relationship with my 952's was too short. Wish I had bought about 3 pairs of them and I would still be in that fantastic skate. Hands down.....best skate that I have ever used.

29 years.....still not a pro
Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPREEDIZZLE View Post
You and me both.....my 4 year relationship with my 952's was too short. Wish I had bought about 3 pairs of them and I would still be in that fantastic skate. Hands down.....best skate that I have ever used.
EXACTLY!!!

I know you switched to the RBK pump, SPREE, but how similar, exactly, were they to the tacks (fit/feel/size/pitch/etc/etc)? I've been thinking about buying an RBK 4K (I really don't see a need for me to go "pumping" it for the extra dough), but, of course, I would never do it unless someone told me that they were a seamless transition.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM

I just picked up a pair of 992s and skated in them for the first time yesterday. Pretty nice skates, just need to break them in.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepow View Post
I just picked up a pair of 992s and skated in them for the first time yesterday. Pretty nice skates, just need to break them in.
Yeah, but the 992s aren't the 952s. I don't know how similar they are, but I definitely don't like the skate lock, the holder is different, and the general look is distasteful, comparatively.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
EXACTLY!!!

I know you switched to the RBK pump, SPREE, but how similar, exactly, were they to the tacks (fit/feel/size/pitch/etc/etc)? I've been thinking about buying an RBK 4K (I really don't see a need for me to go "pumping" it for the extra dough), but, of course, I would never do it unless someone told me that they were a seamless transition.
The fit is pretty damn close. I had a 9 month hiatus between my 952's and my RBK with the Vector in there (horrible fit....surprise gift from my parents to replace my 952's). So I no longer have my 952's, but the fit might be a touch wider in the forefoot than my 7K's. The 7K's do feel stiffer than my 952's, but nothing that wasn't overcome in about 5 sessions of skating. Overall....pretty similar feeling skate. I feel your pain on the pump....but I never use mine. I would recommend getting the 5K or 7K (especially at your size) as I don't have much experience with the non-pump RBK skates, but the do seem inferior with regards to stiffness and quality.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I would recommend getting the 5K or 7K (especially at your size) as I don't have much experience with the non-pump RBK skates, but the do seem inferior with regards to stiffness and quality.
Really? I always thought the 4K was the 9K without the pump.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Really? I always thought the 4K was the 9K without the pump.
That I don't know. I tried them on in Detroit and the 4K did not feel as stiff as the 7K, and was not as comfortable in the ankle pockets as the 7K.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
That I don't know. I tried them on in Detroit and the 4K did not feel as stiff as the 7K, and was not as comfortable in the ankle pockets as the 7K.
How was the size? Exactly the same as the tacks? I will order them online if I can be sure they're identical.